Dan Wilson

DAN WILSON ---- Professional Athlete ---- Part-time Wordsmith
www.flickr.com

Friday, November 11, 2011

Bloggin' about Joggin'


Good evening friends, and welcome to Words With Wilson. Where to inaugurate? Such a landmark first post perhaps deserves some explanation of the inspiration for such publication. After we conclude formalities of voicing the reasoning behind the self indulgence of starting a blog, we can quickly get down to the bread and butter of the project - poorly constructed puns shallowly illustrating some irreverent and perhaps irrelevant observations on my life taking the triathlon journey. Ah yes, don’t expect too much high brow philosophising - I almost named this site ‘Swim, Bike, Pun'!
Inspiration comes in many forms, and a short glance or inquisition at any triathlon race soon affirms such a notion. This blogs inspiration stems from the enjoyment I have accrued whilst sampling the myriad of cyber writings authored by my friends and peers in the triathlon world. Some rubbish, to be honest, some brilliant, all entertaining in their own right, with the jewel in the crown undoubtedly the cult-followed memoirs of Josh Amberger, which currently enjoys more hits than a season of UFC bouts. 
Thus, I thought the time was right to jump aboard the blogging bandwagon, and if there’s one thing I enjoy more than writing diarised anecdotes in a cyber-hosted format, it’s jumping on board a bandwagon. Combined with the fact I’m significantly far too lazy and stingy to pay/create a website, the blogosphere conveniently combined my two loves of posting blogs and not paying for things. Ergo, Words With Wilson
Now, working on the knowledge you’ve A) double-clicked your way to a site containing danwilsontriathlete in the address, and B) read this far, I’m going to make a few assumptions. They are, that you know enough about my history to be vaguely interested, but nonetheless are threatening to navigate yourself as far away from this page as possible if a full autobiography of the last 10 years rears it’s tedious head. Rest easy friends, I’ll spare you the details, preferring to subtly work in a few biographical details into further blogs, once I have full command of your attention. It’s a trick I learnt back at my primary school of Narangba (subtle, yeah?). Suffice to say, last season was a bit of a dog (lot of a dog to more honest and accurate), but with a season with more hurdles than the Grand National behind me, the next few months of my life revolve around qualifying for the Australian team for the London Olympics. 
I will endeavor to keep you abreast of how these aspirations are progressing, although I can’t promise all posts will be completely triathlon in nature. Anyone who stumbled here from my Twitter account can vouch for the fact my citations have a tendency to be ‘off topic’. Speaking of Twitter, in a world that revolves around 140 characters, I might be pushing my luck hold your focus if I include any more gratuitous waffle in a single post. I thank you for wandering on by to check it out, and thank you even further if you make the journey back to sample some more anecdotes, guaranteed to be filled with blatantly superfluous linguistics. 
Check back in a few days time for a preview of the pre-season, and an inside look at the goings on of a training camp. 
Take care friends,
Willy

1 comment:

  1. A good pun is it's own re-word - D. Oliver

    ReplyDelete