Welcome friends, this edition of the blogzine comes from the semi aquatic locale of Brisbane, currently firmly in the grips of a incessant deluge. Indeed, short of Kevin Costner riding past on a jet-ski, the Boroughs of the South East are beginning to resemble the set of Waterworld, and has led to a largely indoor lifestyle rife with boredom and restlessness. Again, much like Kevin’s work in Waterworld.
Fortunately, the precipitation has not put too much of a dampener (pun intended) on training. Obviously, the only difference in swim training has been to resist the urge to tell the most obvious joke in the world prior to training (‘Looks like we’ll be getting wet today...’). Bike sessions have been divided between squinting into the rain on the road, and squinting at my dwindling wattage on the wind-trainer, both methods of which are beneficial for the legs, but not the ego. The effects on running routes are significant, but the sessions minimal, the only difference being allowing for the 20 minutes of standing in the dry doorway, before finally stepping on the the wet pavement prior to commencing bipedal activity.
The major effects have been felt on leisure activities, as the inundation of precipitation has led to activities involving a roof. Thus, time not training has been spent:
- Checking weather.com for forecasts
- Holding a hand outside to confirm such forecasts
- Gratuitous sport watching (Tennis/Cricket/Cycling/SurfIronman/Waterpolo*)
- Pacing up and down the hallway, pausing to look out the window at each pass
- Checking weather.com again
- Annoying the neighbors by inexpertly playing some electric guitar, content in the knowledge they won’t brave the rain to tell me to either cease or get some lessons
- Adjusting the pedestal fan attempting to dry my bevy of sodden running shoes in the garage
- Flinching at the overwhelming olfactory cannonade of pure dampness upon entering the garage
- Repeating the above upon entering The Gurgler (my car)
- Collecting goggles and togs for swim set
- Collecting goggles and togs for bike set
- Collecting goggles and togs for run set
- Dissatisfied with the forecasts on weather.com, checking weatherchannel.com instead, but swearing upon reading their decidedly more forbidding prophecy
- Finally, devoid of further procrastination, sitting at a typewriter to write a caviling blog about how tough it is to have slightly wet clothes for a change.
*Originally planned as polo, but the rain has altered the format)
Which brings me up to date. Time to post this, then straight to weather.com, followed by more pacing. I’m including the hallway pacing in my weekly kms this week.
Take care, friends,